[Act No. 47 of 2001]
[September 14, 2001]
Statement of Objects and Reasons.
The Central Government constituted a Commission headed by Shri P.C. Jain, inter alias, to undertake an overview of the steps taken by various Ministries and Departments for the review of Administrative Laws, regulations and procedures administered by them and the follow-up steps thereafter, for repeal and amendment of certain Acts. The said Commission recommended repeal of a large number of Central enactments of different categories, including thirty-five Reorganisation Acts. The recommendations were examined and it is considered that the seven Acts mentioned in the Bill could be repealed for the reasons stated in the following paragraphs.
2. The Two-Member Constituencies (Abolition) Act, 1961 was enacted for abolition of two-member parliamentary and assembly constituencies and for creation of single-member constituencies in their place.
3. The Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council (Abolition) Act. 1985, the Tamil Nadu Legislative Council (Abolition) Act, 1986 and the West Bengal Legislative Council (Abolition) Act, 1969 were enacted for abolition of Legislative Councils in the States of Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu and West Bengal, respectively.
4. The then States of Madras and Mysore and the Union territory of Laccadive, Minicoy and Ainindivi Islands were re-christened as Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Lakshadweep respectively by enacting the Madras State (Alteration of Name) Act, 1968, the Mysore State (Alteration of Name) Act, 1973 and the Laccadive. Minicoy and Amindivi Islands (Alteration of Name) Act, 1973, respectively.
5. The seven Acts mentioned above are proposed to be repealed since they have served their purpose and are no longer required to be retained on the Statute book.
6. The Bill seeks to achieve the above object.
An Act to repeal the Two-Member Constituencies (Abolition) Act, 1961 and certain other enactments Be it enacted by Parliament in the Fifty-second Year of the Republic of India as follows:—
This Act may be called the Two Member Constituencies (Abolition) and other Laws Repeal Act, 2001.-
The enactments specified in the Schedule are hereby repealed.
REPEAL OF ENACTMENTS
|SI. No.||Name of the Act||Year||Act No.|
|1||The Two-Member Constituencies (Abolition) Act||1961||1|
|2||The Madras State (Alteration of Name) Act||1968||53|
|3||The West Bengal Legislative Council (Abolition) Act||1969||20|
|4||The Mysore State (Alteration of Name) Act||1973||31|
|5||The Laccadive, Minicoy and Amindivi Islands (Alterationof Name) Act||1973||34|
|6||The Andhra Pradesh Legislative Council (Abolition) Act||1985||34|
|7||The Tamil Nadu Legislative Council (Abolition) Act||1986||40|