How to legally change your name in India


How to legally change your name in India

Following are the steps for changing your own name.


You need to submit an affidavit regarding change of your name to your respective District Court before a Magistrate or Notary Public. The Affidavit must mention the current name and the desired new name, and may mention in brief the reason for name change. The Affidavit must be made on a Non-Judicial Stamp Paper of minimal value. In case of Indians, living abroad, he/she will submit deed duly attested by the respective Indian Embassy/Indian High Commission, in original to this Department.

Newspaper Publication

You need to advertise your change of name in one of the daily local leading newspaper stating therein father’s/Husband’s name along with residential address.

Gazette Notification

You need to get your name published in the Official Gazette of your state. You must approach the Government Press of your respective state and fill up the form for the same and pay the prescribed fees. Your name change notification will be published in the state’s Official Gazette and you will be sent copies of the same at the address given by you.

With Gazette notification, the name change is officially completed.

About the author

deb administrator

Leave a Reply